Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Hotel Transylvania Movie review

Finally saw this movie last night. Initially I had wanted to go see it with my girlfriend but she expressed a disinterest in it so we saw Paranorman instead.

So the first big surprise for me was that this was a Adam Sandler film. I have been really unimpressed with his movies lately so this was already a strike against it for me, but my sister was ranting about how good it was and she had already watched Wreck-it Ralph at my request so I stuck it out.

Not really all that impressed with the movie.

Firstly the characters are over-the-top stupid. Like all of them. Dracula (Sandler's character) is the only non-retarded person in the whole film. Oh, and also the Hunchback of Notre Dame too, despite that character being classically considered mentally retarded.

Then there is the plot.
Mild spoilers


Dracula builds a castle/Hotel to protect his daughter from humans. All the other monsters come and visit him once a year to celebrate her birthday. A random human stumbles across the castle and Dracula disguises him as a Frankenstein (despite the fact that Frankenstein was the creator, not the monster, they describe all such creatures as "Frankensteins".).
Hijinks ensue and the human and Dracula's daughter fall in love.


And it's not like a slowly developing love, they specifically portray it as "Love at first-sight". So randomly, the first human she ever meets is her soulmate whom she instantly falls in love with.


So the plot is garbage, the character development is asinine, but now we come to the big question for any comedy film:

Is it funny?

Answer: Kinda, in places.
It's not hilarious the entire time, it tries to be, but most of the jokes just aren't funny. But out of every ten jokes they attempt maybe one or two actually hit the mark.

Final thoughts: I wouldn't buy the movie or pay to see it in theaters, but if it was on TV I'd probably watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment